Sunday, May 26, 2013

MY LIFE STORY PART V - The Blessings as an OFW

        
First time on an Air Plane,
From Manila, Philippines to Saudi Arabia as an OFW
  On the early morning of April 16, 2007
at around 5:00 am at Jeddah Airport in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia boarded in a Saudia Airline international flight coming from Manila, Philippines. The aircraft perfectly hit the runway and landed safely in the airport ground. I thank the Lord silently with a short prayer and asked Him to guide me in this new world of challenge.
        As I walk off the plane, a strange feeling of excitement being my first time in a foreign land as an OFW. A little bit nervous but less worried because I have a buddy also hired by the same company. Checking out from the airport's immigration, we had immediately seen the Logo of Saudi Cable Company with our name attached. At first, we're  uncertain to approach the person but no other choice. Then, the company driver brought us to the company's accommodation in less than an hour. We first took our rest then reported to the company on the following day.
This is the first company I worked abroad
Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
     April 17, 2007 was my first day at work in Saudi Cable Company in Jeddah, KSA.  I woke up early, fixed my self after breakfast then proceed to our company service bus. Inside the bus, I was so relief that fellow "kababayans" heartily welcomes a greenhorn like us. Some gave us tips about the company and cultures of Muslim Saudi citizens. Others shared their experiences during their stay in the kingdom. I enjoyed our trip on the way to the company while observing places, events, people, houses and other strange  things I've never seen in my entire life. 
Drum Twister Machine in a Cable Manufacturing Company

          The bus arrived at the company premises  exactly before office hours at eight in the morning. We immediately proceed to HR Office for usual briefing and company orientation.  All our documents were confirmed and surrendered to the employer for further processing of residential permit or IQAMA then undergone physical examination as the last process. Finally, we're now physically fit for our new job. 
          I was interviewed by my immediate superior the next day.  He was the Maintenance Manager of Telecom Plant and as the Project Manager for expansion projects of Saudi Cable Company. He was an Arabic speaking Egyptian nationality  & speaks English fluently.  My working visa was a mechanical technician but out of the blue during my interview, he asked me about mechanical designs and computations. I was surprised but at the back of my mind was excited and cheerful about it. Then, assigned me as the Project Engineer  on Mechanical works who will be responsible in Mechanical Engineering Designs & Computations for the company's expansion projects.  I did some computations on Machine Foundations, HVAC (include chillers, exhaust fans, ducting, heat exchangers and other cooling system), piping calculation and estimation,  finalized scope of works in mechanical projects, monitor and supervise the implementation of the approved mechanical designs, interprets proposed drawings of contractors and other engineering works which I never experienced at my home land. It's a wonderful experience,  what I learned in college were now applied in my job. Perhaps blessing in disguise that  I brought my favorite mechanical book (PSME Code) and notes during my college days. So to speak, everything runs smoothly with few normal misunderstood work related issues especially with my boss but surpassed all of them.
          After a year, my life undergone a rapid changed. I became more comfortable and confident on myself. My financial obligations way back home were all resolved instantly. My balances for the monthly amortization of my rent to own house were all completed and  even transferred  into a loaned house under my name. In other words, I was financially recovered. My compensation was not that satisfying but it doesn't matter at this point in time because new knowledge and gaining actual experiences were most profitable than anything else for a neophyte like me working abroad. I never forgot the feelings of my first time to receive a full salary amount of not less than a 20, 000 pesos per month compared to my previous work in my hometown. I can't imagine it was so real that I'm starting a new chapter of my life having a total change. My frustrated visions in life regained in a span of less than a year. 
             But behind those happy moments there are still challenges comes along my way. God gave us challenge to make us strong & a complete person. At this point in my career, I became more aggressive and strong but unsatisfied as a normal human being. 
                      More details on these on the next chapter of my life. I hope you don't miss the present status of my life. May God bless us all.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment